[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
The Abandoned Gamesroom • View topic - State of Adventure Games

State of Adventure Games

Old games, new games, anything goes.

Moderator: Mods

State of Adventure Games

Postby Gathilas » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:44 am

Faeran recently made a post about this which you all should read if you haven't already.

But also IGN has noticed this lack of adventure games

Gathilas Starbreeze
The Abandoned Gamesroom

Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Gathilas
Web Developler

Postby Balin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:21 pm

I just skimmed IGN's article, but I disagreed with much of what I saw. The main thing I disagreed with was the stuff about including physics engines and improving graphics. Developers need to stop focusing on graphics and start working on story. Pretty visuals and graphic effects are simply bonuses in an adventure game; Sierra's old EGA games are still fun, despite the fact that the graphics in those games would make today's "hardcore" gamers go into a catatonic state when they saw them.

Frankly, I have no problems with "hybrid-adventures"; combining stealth/shooting/RPG/etc. elements with the story of an adventure game is perfectly enjoyable, and if more developers did so, I think there'd be some good games out there. Aside from that, I think that developers need to start releasing more games for the DS and Wii. These platforms are practically built for adventure games.
Balin
Simply Satisfactory
Simply Satisfactory

Postby flubbucket » Sat May 24, 2008 9:47 am

Good point regarding the DS. With gasoline becoming a luxury item I find public transportation a pleasant alternative. Gaming and reading are a great way to pass the time. An adventure game for the DS would be a welcome change from the turn-based strategy fare I have been playing. (NOT POKEMON!!!! Thank you) Sorry to stray off topic :oops:
flubbucket
Aban

Return to PC Gaming