Quest For Glory 4

Forums about all of our games. Info, hints, trouble shooting on all the games we offer.

Moderator: Mods

Quest For Glory 4

Postby agamesroom » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:13 pm

Please post only about the specified game on this thread.

The game page can be found here
agamesroom
Worst Website Ever!

cd version

Postby Hesam » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:04 pm

hey guys,

i downloaded the 5 .rar files for the CD version of the game and extracted them to the same folder.. I end up with a file called ' VOLUME_ID.iso '.

What do I do with this file? Have I made a mistake somewhere? Thanks. :)
Hesam
Aban

Postby Faeran » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:08 pm

Hey Hesam,

You have not come up with a mistake, I guess that may seem a little odd these days, ending up with a file like that, but I will try to explain.

The VOLUME_ID.iso file is an image file of the original CD. You can do one of 2 things with this file:

1. You can use a cd burning program (like Nero) to burn the image file onto a CD. This way you will have your very own CD copy of the original game.

2. You can use a program like Daemon Tools. This program can create a virtual CD drive on your computer, allowing you to load this image file into it. This will allow you to run the image file like a real CD on your computer, without the need to make a physical CD.

Either way you do it should yield similar results. I am unsure how this game runs with more recent systems, I will see if I have any old info about it somewhere.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit, and hope you can try to load it up in DOSBox and make it work for ya.
Cheers, Faeran
The Abandoned Gamesroom
Faeran
Games Expert

Postby Hesam » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:49 pm

Thanks Faeran,

I think that makes sense. My pc has a messed-up cd drive that I just don't trust, so I decided to go the Daemon Tools route. I have that installed on my computer now, but I'm a rookie when it comes to that software. I can mount/load the .iso file I got from the .rar files, but nothing happens.

Sorry to bug you. Maybe there's something you know or can suggest, otherwise I'm pretty happy with the disk version of the game. :)

Cheers,
Hesam
Hesam
Aban

Postby Faeran » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Hesam wrote:Thanks Faeran,

I think that makes sense. My pc has a messed-up cd drive that I just don't trust, so I decided to go the Daemon Tools route. I have that installed on my computer now, but I'm a rookie when it comes to that software. I can mount/load the .iso file I got from the .rar files, but nothing happens.

Sorry to bug you. Maybe there's something you know or can suggest, otherwise I'm pretty happy with the disk version of the game. :)

Cheers,
Hesam

No Problem.

I guess back in the day there was no "Auto-Play" feature, you kind of had to do everything manually. This is augmented by the fact that the Quest For Glory 4 CD was not made for Windows Vista or XP or 2000 or 98, or 95 for that matter... lol

When you try to run a game like this in any of those platforms, they will probably bug out before you get very far. Luckily there is a way around this, but it will take some "work-arounds" using the program Dosbox, so if you don't have that program, go download and install it now!

Ok, so now that you have the ISO file mounted inside of Daemon Tools. Go into My Computer and remember which Drive Letter you are using for your virtual drive (in my case I have the letter E or the E: drive). Next I would highly recommend that you make a directory (or folder) inside of your "C:" Drive called something like "games".

Now load up DOSBox. You will notice that you will basically be put in DOS. You will need to type in a few commands to get things working properly.

1. You need to mount the virtual CD drive. In my example, my Virtual Drive is the letter E, so I type this in.

Code: Select all
mount d e:\ -t cdrom

This will mount my CD drive to the letter D.

2. Next I need to mount my hard drive to DOSBox, I am going to use the directory (or folder) that I made in my C:\ (the one called "games"). I will type this out in DOSBox:

Code: Select all
mount c c:\games

ok, so now you should have your CD-Rom (or virtual CD rom) drive mounted, and your hard drive mounted and you are ready to go. Follow below what you need to type in DOSBox (when you see [ENTER], that means that you have to hit the enter button).

d: [ENTER]
install [ENTER]

Follow the install process, when you reach a point where it asks you which kind of install you want to do, hit "F" to do the FULL install.

After it is done installing, it will boot you to DOS. I believe you need to type QG4CD (doesn't matter if you do capital letters) to enter the game.

This should make the game work on your computer, with voice acting and all. As far as I know, you will need to mount the virtual drive and mount your hard drive each time you want to play the game (I know, kind of annoying). There might be a way to save all of that, but I can't think of it right now, and it would definitely require more work than this.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Faeran on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Faeran
The Abandoned Gamesroom
Faeran
Games Expert

Postby Hesam » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Wow. You're the man! Thanks so much, it worked perfectly.
It was mounting the cd-rom drive that was stumping me. Thanks a bunch!

Funnily enough, I just finished playingd through Qg4 from beginning to end and finished with full points.. with the disk version. :)

Voice acting should be a bit of a shock!

Thanks again,
Hesam
Hesam
Aban

Re: Quest For Glory 4

Postby jdash392 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:34 am

Hello,

Thanks for the above advice, worked like a charm!

I've found from another website a way to bypass having to manually mount your drive and CD-ROM each time you want to play.

Instructions:

Find your original Doxbox install file (Or download it again if you have lost it).

Firstly: Run the downloaded installer file and install Dosbox on your hard drive in whatever directory QFG4 is presently in.

Next: Open the folder then the DOSBOX folder within it. Locate and then run Dosbox by double clicking on the Dosbox program icon.

Next: At the the command prompt in Dosbox type "config -writeconf dosbox.conf" and then press the "Enter" key.

This will make a "config" file appear in that folder.

Next: Type "exit" to exit Dosbox.

Now: Locate and right click on the Dosbox config file. Click "open with" & select notepad.

Finally: With the dosbox config file open scroll to the bottom. We are going to place some text below [autoexec]:

In my case as I have installed it to the folder "dos" and my virtual drive is "f:" I enter:

mount d f:\ -t cdrom
mount c c:\dos
c:
cd sierra
QG4CD

Save and exit the config file when you are finished.

Now when you click on the Dosbox program icon that you installed to your QFG4 folder it should automatically do all the above commands and load the game for you.

I credit Glenn's Guides @ http://www.glennsguides.com/2010/02/que ... kness.html for this, so thank him.

Hope it works for you.
jdash392
A

Return to Gamesroom Games