Help setting games up?

General questions, comments and discussions about our website.

Moderator: Mods

Help setting games up?

Postby Drexxell » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 pm

I grew up playing lots of Sierra games and would love to get them to work on my computer but i pretty much dont know much about files and computers i downloaded a game and its in rar format then i downloaded winrar and tried to unzip but when i tried to double click the install exe after unzipping it kept giving error message about 32 bit and 64 bit compatability?

i have vista 64 bit
can anyone help or give me idiot walk through on waht to do i deleted everything i will be starting over

thanks!!
Drexxell
Aban

Re: Help setting games up?

Postby Faeran » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:53 am

This is definitely a common problem. Depending on what game you are trying to run is depending on how you are going to run it.

There are 2 different programs you can use to try to help you out. They are both located in our applications section of our website:
http://www.agamesroom.com/Applications

DOSBox - If you try using dosbox this is what you'll have to do. After installing DOSBox, drag the game "exe" file onto the DOSBox shortcut icon located on your desktop and DOSBox will automatically try to run the game.

ScummVM - ScummVM will run most old sierra game now, as long as the Sierra game wasn't made for windows. ScummVM has more of a UI interface, and you should be able to open ScummVM and load the game you are trying to run right into it. The benefit of ScummVM is that it also runs all the old LucasArts adventure games as well.

Either suggestions are good, it's just a matter of which game you are trying to run. Let me know if this has helped you out.
Cheers, Faeran
The Abandoned Gamesroom
Faeran
Games Expert

Re: Help setting games up?

Postby Drexxell » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:05 pm

yup! got it up and running thanks!
Drexxell
Aban

Return to The Gamesroom